Friday December 28th, 2012

For today's poem, I went with a type of poetry that is a little more exotic. It is called a kyrielle and is of French origin. Each stanza should be a quatraine, (four lines), and can have any rhyme scheme (I chose ABCB). Also, the final line of each stanza is a refrain, or a recurring theme of sorts, so it should be repeated at least to the point of recognition at the end of each stanza. To allow for the refrain, at least two stanzas are required for the poem. Here is mine:

A Not-So-Frozen Soul

Hardships abound in the world,
Each person holds a cross to bear,
Yet their struggle remains inside,
There is nobody near to care.

Jack Frost glances longingly in,
Children dream of sugarplums there,
Jack only in their worst nightmares,
And nobody is near to care.

He sheds a tear and wipes it off,
Crystallizes in his palm fair,
A masterpiece, a work of art,
And nobody is near to care.

Yet someone must admire beauty,
And so Frost forges frozen tears,
Molds a web of frosted sorrow,
In hopes that somebody will care.

***

I wrote my poem about a subject that is very timely in the winter season, good old Jack Frost. It seems to me that he is almost always portrayed as a villain or a person with evil intent, and I feel bad for him. I don't think he deserves that. So I decided to write a poem to shed some light on a different side of Jack that noone really would even imagine. I hope you liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment