Saturday December 29th, 2012

For today's poem, I decided to try another poetry style of French origin called a triolet. It is a rather simple eight-line poem with just a few requirements. For this rhyme scheme, lowercase letters signify just rhyming with that letter-type, while capital letters signify repeated lines. Here goes: ABaAabAB.

As you can see, the first line of the poem is repeated twice, and the second is repeated once. If you do the math, you realize you only have three more lines to write after the first two, but getting them to make sense in the context of the poem as a whole is the more difficult part. For my poem, I also wrote in Iambic tetrameter, though this is not required. Here is my poem:

The Sky Grows Ever Dark Outside

The sky grows ever dark outside,
And I have not a place to go,
And so to you I must confide,
The sky grows ever dark outside,
I don't have a place to reside,
And minutes pass as hard winds blow,
As the sky grows ever dark outside,
And I have not a place to go.

***

I had a little fun with this one, imagining the horse-driver from Robert Frost's famous poem Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening having to stop for the night with hardly a house in sight and having no idea where he would be welcome to stay the night. A little bit of a twist from the original poem, but it was fun to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment