Sunday December 30th 2012

For today's poem, I wrote an Italian-style sonnet. A sonnet has fourteen lines no matter what type you choose to write. The requirements for writing a sonnet have blurred overtime, mainly in rhyme scheme, but virtually every sonnet is written in iambic pentameter. I chose a rather common rhyme scheme: ABBAABBA CDECDE. As you can see, there are two stanzas. Often, poets will choose to change the mood of their poem upon reaching the new stanza.

Sonnets are often written in relation to romance, but sometimes the prettiest sonnets, in my opinion, are the ones that break the mold. Here's my poem:

I have been to a place they call heaven,
A place frought with joy and purest delight,
And its inhabitants suffer from light,
A light so bright no man has ever seen,
And up in heaven each person's soul washed clean,
Their light so bright it's purest white, a sight
Immaculate even in darkest night,
I'd never leave if it were up to me.

And so I thought, but then one day I woke,
From sweetest dream to gloomiest nightmare,
Out of the sunshine and into the fire,
And from then on no voice to me e'er spoke,
Nothing to grasp, dangling from high height there,
My future has ne'er looked to be so dire.

***

As you can plainly see, the mood change from the first to the second stanza was pretty obvious, and I planned that. This sonnet was inspired by a line from The Real World by Owl City, which I included word for word in the poem: "I'd never leave if it were up to me." The rest of the sonnet just shaped itself around that line, and it was interesting to watch this idea form in my head. I really am happy with how this poem turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment